There are a few rules to socks that will stand the test of time
If you wear kicks everyday like me (I'm not really a sandals guy), then you'll wear socks a lot. As such, there are a few rules you (and everyone) should live by with respect to socks.
I'm going to avoid style rules because there are too many caveats and styles change over time. As long as you wear socks, these rules should apply:
- If you get a hole in the toe area, throw the sock out immediately. In terms of small annoyances, a hole in the toe area of a sock ranks up there with a paper cut between your fingers and pants that are one size too tight - you can live with it if you have to, but you'll hate it the entire time. This is especially relevant in dress socks.
- If you get a small hole in the heel or bottom of the sock, you can wear the sock until the previously small hole becomes a big hole which will likely be the end of the day (even if it isn't you should just get rid of it because when you wash that sock the hole will get bigger, no doubt).
- If you start with a big hole in the heel or bottom, the sock has ended its usefulness to you and should be disposed of pronto.
- If you get a hole on the top of the sock, stop, ponder your life choices (specifically how in the hell you got a hole on the top of your sock), and toss it. You don't want to be in a situation where you have to take off your shoes in front of other people only for them to see the mind-blowingly crazy hole in the top of your sock and then question your life savvy.
- If the elastic is worn out at the top of the sock, trash it and pick out a new sock. A sock that twists on your foot or slides down your foot into your shoe will be highly inconvenient if you have to walk more than 10 steps.
- If you buy multiple pairs of the same socks and one sock goes down, keep the widowed sock loose in your sock drawer. You never know when you'll have another matching single sock go down. Instead of losing two pairs, you'll have only lost one.
- Moderate-style rule: Socks and sandals do not go together (unless you're wearing athletic sandals and even then it might only be post-workout). You might see someone doing it; they are doing it wrong.
- Putting socks on cats is funny